FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official Peanut Gallery Thread
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:52 am
kennycrudup

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... I'm not going to live my life afraid of something that's got worse odds of killing me than say, the odds of getting 5 out of 6 numbers on a scratch-off ticket. [1]
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
"Cases" are not "deaths" and I'm glad to see the public is wising up to that, and recent events in the news are making that clear.
A couple of weeks ago some of my family were discussing traveling for Xmas to see some elderly relatives so we all decided to get tested.

... whoops! 😆

TBH I was kinda surprised that I'd tested positive then as I'd figured I'd had it already by now after all the travel (maybe this was the 2nd time?). Over the months I know (as in "personally met") a dozen or so people spread out over a handful of States who'd had it this year and out of those, half only knew 'cause they had to get tested for work or travel and the other half having mild symptoms, and one who'd gone to the ER was told to just go home and rest it off.

Anyway, just as I'd figured, and just like the experience of those I know who had it, the worst part of it all was the two weeks of house-arrest- thankfully I'd made my "Covid CP" qualifying segment weeks ago. I'm fortunate that I'm in a field where I can work at home if I want to, and affluent enough to get food and supplies (and even Xmas shop) all online, so it was really more "inconvenienced" for me than "forcefully unemployed and barely making ends meet" like many of my friends who've been tossed out of their jobs (some for months!) by these Covid countermeasures.

So I've now got a negative test and lived to tell, just as I'd been saying happens to young(-ish, for me), healthy people. I'd had a scratchy throat a couple mornings but that's been happening every blue moon for years now so who knows if that's due to CV, and having had colds that have laid me up in the bed hacking my lungs out and miserable I can honestly say (just as some of my friends have) that if this is the effect the Coronavirus is going to have on me, I'll take it over a common cold any day.

[1] - ironically enough, every time I'm in PDX I buy a couple of bucks of multi-State lotto ticket at the Plaid Pantry near the hotel strip I'm usually staying and run 'em thru on my return trips- I actually "won" a few bucks last time I was there