FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quick Getaway to Lima and Machu Picchu Before Christmas
Old Dec 25, 2020, 10:48 pm
marcopolo-ken

Programs: AA
Machu Picchu
After getting off the bus we had a few minutes before our timed entry at 2:00 pm so took a look at the map of the citadel. Pre-Covid, the number of daily visitors was around 3,000, but it was limited to just 675 per day when they reopened although they bumped that number up to 1,000 as of early Dec. There are three routes you can take: red, blue or yellow. The red route is the longest and takes you on a big loop around MP, but it starts off with fairly strenuous climb up to the top of the trail made worse by the humidity and the mask. But once you reach the top it was magical. Rehider thought that rain clouds were headed in our direction, but it never materialized and it was sunny the entire time.

Since there was hardly anyone behind us we took our time exploring the grounds and taking as many pictures as I wanted. There are park employees throughout normally there to move people along, but that was not necessary today. I was just in awe that I was actually standing here after seeing this place in so many pictures. We sat in the shade as Rehider gave me a history lesson on the Incas and MP. I think we spent a good 45 minutes chatting and relaxing before making our way down to the main site. Pictures just don't do this place justice but here goes.

Map of the different routes

Waiting for our timed entry

Just stunning

We took our sweet time exploring all the different nooks and crannies of MP. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there probably no more than 60 people the entire time we were there and even that might be a stretch. Rehider said in the 13 years he's been leading tours of MP he's never seen it this empty. I was definitely blessed to have great weather and minimal crowds on my visit. Of course this doesn't happen during normal circumstances.

Looking up toward Machu Picchu point from the main site

Llama llama, red pajama. Those with young kids will understand what I'm talking about.

Once last shot before leaving MP

We ending up staying just past closing time at 5:00 pm and as we exited there was a bus waiting to take us back down to Aguas Calientes. One neat thing I'll mention is that when we entered the park, the guy checking my ticket asked if I wanted my passport stamped with the MP stamp. You're required to bring your passport to enter as apparently in the past some tour companies were just copying tickets to take more people in than allowed. Now, each ticket has your name and passport number on it. Anyway, since immigration has stopped stamping passports at LIM due to Covid (not sure why not as they still take your passport to scan) it would be cool to have a stamp of some kind in there.

Back down in Aguas Calientes and I was pretty parched from all the walking. We had about 30 mins before our train left so Rehider and I found a cafe and shared a large, cold bottle of Inca Kola. For those who haven't had Inca Kola, it's a soda that looks like pee, but tastes like bubble gum. Yeah, go figure. Anyway, it absolutely hit the spot.

Back on the train I just plugged in my headphones and zoned out. Rehider hitched a ride with me back into Cusco and we decided to grab a late dinner of pollo a la brasa. It wasn't as good as the place I went the night before, but still really good. A short walk back to the hotel and I was ready to crash. But what an incredible day and one I will remember for a long time.

Passport stamp

Inca Kola

A sight for sore eyes