FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United 1K return cancelled, booked on American
Old Dec 24, 2020, 12:40 am
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by bhunt
If the back somewhat empty I have giving my CPU seat to military service persons before.
Off topic, but so have I. Until that one time...The next person on the upgrade list overheard me and loudly proclaimed if I did not want the seat then he was next in line. The UA GA explained to me that technically the loud objector was correct and that if I did not want the seat he was entitled to the seat. So what I did was board the flight after the loud complainer and waited for the uniformed person to board (not sure why he did not pre-board) and as he got on I gave him my seat and asked for his seat number.

I have also clarified that if I have paid for the first class seat I can swap with anyone, it is just the upgrades that are the issue.

Back on topic - I had the same experience in LAX where the UA flight was delayed arriving from an international flight so they switched me to UA and AA made me pay for the luggage. I was so annoyed as I ended up in a middle seat at the back of the plane and having to pay luggage fees that I hired an uber to get me back to San Diego. It is really annoying after UA causes a delay and then I end up having to pay luggage fees. UA refunded me the flight from LAX-SAN when I contacted them but that was because I had not flown the segment.