FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Orlando Area Non-Disney?
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:31 pm
somedudefromFLa

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by KIcarus
Hello all,

I've found myself in the Orlando area for about a week, and I've got a lot of IHG points to burn. I'm a single guy in my 30s, so I have no interest in a Disney trip, and we're living in strange times anyway, I don't think I'm going to be doing any socializing right now. I'm just looking for a comfortable hotel to relax in and kill time. Does the forum have any suggestions for a good hotel in the area to make the best of it? Thanks!
The crown plaza in downtown is a nice hotel with good rates on points and used to be able to book a two room suite on points, not sure if that is the case anymore? While it says "downtown" it really is still a car location, but I would expect it not to be too busy currently - the hotel is popular for the basketball games & other concerts at the arena which obviously is not much currently ( apparently the magic are having fans to the arena for games but very limited ). The area to the east of the hotel along route 50 is a very interesting area, it ranges from authentic asian neighborhood & restaurants near the mills & 50 area to a bit of a trendy hipster area if you head south more around the thornton park neighborhood to a fancy upscale area if you head north around the winter park area. Lots of good restaurants etc. I would suggest to avoid hotels near the Disney area currently as from your post it sounds like you have a healthy respect for the current situation with SARS-Cov-2 and unfortunately not everyone seems to have that mindset in Florida, I currently live in the coastal area of Florida and am just amazed by some of the things I see! Needless to say the crowd currently staying in the tourist area is probably not one prefer to be in amongst...

Last edited by somedudefromFLa; Dec 23, 2020 at 8:38 pm