FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Outfitting your travel kit for USB-C
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:45 am
mileagehighclub

No one seems to mention it but the multi port USB-C bricks that are coming out recently are pretty solid. Aukey is a good example. I'm using their 63W Duo charger (single port = 60W, 2 ports = 15 + 45W). That's enough to power a MacBook Pro not doing anything crazy and charge my phone. If I don't need fast charging for my phone, I just leave my MBP as the main hub and charge my phone off of my laptop instead.

What would be ideal if there was a 3 port USB-C charger. Their
B6S B6S
charger gets close but oddly went with USB-A for the 3rd port. An ideal setup would look like this for me: single port = 90W or 86W or whatever MBPs use; 2 ports = 60+30W, which allows you to charge a MBP reliably and even a MacBook or MacBook Air, or one of the newer iPad Airs. 3 port usage could be 60+15+15, which allows you to reliably charge laptop + tablet + phone or laptop + 2 phones (all you business travelers know what it's like to dual wield cell phones). I find it kinda annoying Aukey went with 45W+45W for their 100W chargers. This 90W may be perfect, for me. The USB-A I won't worry about, but I also forsee it as being a wasted port in the future as I jettison more USB-A cords.

Last edited by mileagehighclub; Dec 23, 2020 at 1:53 am