FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - how often are you required to change a childs passport?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:07 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
We are taking a trip in a week or so. My now almost 3-year old's passport has a photo from when she was not even 4 months old. I just did a couple of double takes between her passport photo and her standing in front of me, and for the life of me, I see no resemblance. And that passport is good for another 2+ years! I am sure passport control officers are trained in things like these... Has anyone had issues with outdated kids' passport photos? Thankfully she is old enough to confirm when asked if her name is "so and so", which is something we often saw her elder brother being asked.
If any family would have issues with this kind of thing, it would have been my relatives. But it's most commonly not a problem.

If you're worried about the issue, then having a collection of photos showing the child's age progression should be more than sufficient. I suggest keeping those kind of things around somewhere anyway, even if it's not for taking along during a trip. Digital photos showing child's age progression is fine too for this kind of thing, in the very rare chance it comes up.

Passport control authorities may be no better at manually face matching real people against a photo than a young child; but they still don't commonly make a fuss about this kind of thing when the names and appearances of the family members don't give them concern about unlawful child trafficking.

The concern you have -- and concerns that arise from that kind of issue you mention -- is why some countries have shrunk down the printed passport validity period for children's passports. For example, Sweden until a few years ago used to issue children's passports that were valid for 5 years. Now for young children, they only issue them with a 3 year validity period. US children's passports are valid ordinarily for 5 years and that's been standard for a long, long time.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 18, 2020 at 3:12 am