FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long haul flights not allowed from DCA / Washington National?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:56 am
amanuensis
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I would do the same if I had power to abuse. I can walk from DCA to the national mall faster than anyone can drive me out to Dulles.

(and yes, when I fly into DC in the spring and fall with just a light suitcase, I have a few times now walked from the terminal straight to central DC). It's a beautiful walk, especially after being crammed in coach for 2.5 hours)
I haven't done it with a suitcase, but I have walked from Crystal City (where the DCA hotels are located) to downtown DC several times. It is good exercise. One time I stopped along the way at the Pentagon to view the 9/11 memorial there. Doing that gave me the chance to see things that I wasn't even aware of, such as the 9/11 memorial at the fire station where the Pentagon first responders were dispatched from. I've also hiked Theodore Roosevelt Island.

I typically take the afternoon Delta nonstop from DCA home to SLC (another perimeter exception) on a Saturday, so that gives me Saturday morning to just explore on foot. When I am done walking around, I catch the Metro back to Crystal City. If I get a late checkout (fairly easy to get for a Saturday departure), I can shower before the flight. If not, I have the hotel in Crystal City hold my luggage.