FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling the world for 6 months... My sabbatical leave experience
Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:32 am
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Part 59. Invercargill and NZ's "Thrid Island" : Stewart island

Most of us are aware that New Zealand consists of two islands, the North and the South island. But not everyone knows that there is technically a third island, located at the southernmost part of the country, called Stewart island (Rakiura in Maori) about 20 km south from "mainland". About 400 souls live year-round in Oban, the only village of Stuart island but the destination is quite popular for the multi-day hikes it offers. The only way to get there (commercially) is using the small ferry from Bluff, which operates 3 to 4 times daily, although I think you can also get there with a small propeller plane too but this option was not available. As I was planning to spend only one day on the island, I decided to take an early morning boat to Oban. There are a few guest houses and one hotel on the island as far as I can remember but all of those were already full or too pricey for my budget.

The ferry terminal in Bluff

Inside the terminal

3 departures possible that day...

It was a bit windy that day and the boat was not very big. I discovered on my way to Oban that day that I could get sea sick quite easily ! But fortunately, I always carry with me a small pouch with a few medicines and took one of the transport sickness pill I bought at the pharmacy at AMS airport before starting this trip (I was mostly expecting to use those on the cruise from Ushuaia to Easter Island later in the trip though !). The boat was comfortable and there was a small bar service available if needed. I remained seated the entire trip, behind the cockpit hence the lack of pictures :-) The crossing of the Foveaux strait took about 1 hour. Oban's ferry terminal is located "downtown" Oban.

Reaching Oban

Oban ferry terminal

Although I prepared my picnic in Invercargill, I briefly stopped at the small local supermarket to buy a souvenir and a few more snacks and after getting a map of the island at the isite, and started to walk on the hiking path along the coast. (I walked 13 km that day on the island, and barely saw maybe 1% of it!). The weather departing Bluff was not that great, but the skies cleared up later in the morning, and the fresh sea breeze was just what I needed for this walk !

Oban's church

Another picnic with a view...

Visitors...

Not the most inspiring name...

But you can play Petanque !

Dead man's beach

Lee bay, the beginning of the Rakiura track. Looking at the map, I barely visited 1% of the island that day !

The crossing on the way back was fine for me, but it wasn' t the case for everyone !

Lee bay

The beginning of the multi-day hiking trails.

It was a nice walk until the end of the inhabited part of the island, where is located the beginning of the longer hiking tracks (including the Rakiura track which takes 3 days to complete). Visitors from all over the world seemed to be coming on this island : I met a gentleman from California, few couples of Aussies, a duo of Brits and a couple from Auckland who were about to start the long 9-day hike (although they admitted it was their first overnight hike, they seemed pretty enthusiastic about it !). On my side, the beginning of the Rakirua track meant that I had to turn around to go back to the village. The place was very nice but I certainly did not want to miss the last boat to the mainland !

Back to the "city"

Oban's beach

Oban's ferry terminal

Ticket for the last boat to mainland !

The southern express which does the crossing between Bluff and Oban

As I returned to Bluff, I decided to go to Sterling point near the port, which was the end of the road 1.

The other side of the chain, in mainland this time

After this, I drove back to Invercargill where I met David (the German teacher I met in Milford sound) and an Italian friend of his, Eugenio for dinner. David had just arrived to Invercargill that evening (One thing I forgot to mention about him is that his trip consisted in riding by bike from the Northern most point of NZ to the Southernmost point and his goal was to be achieved soon...)

I had a lovely day in Stuart Island and was blessed by the weather once again as I heard that day that it rained most of the day in Invercargill. If I ever go back there, I will try to stay a couple days, and perhaps hike to Rakiura track...