FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan Variable Pricing - Post your search results here
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:10 pm
YOWgary

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by WestonC
I have booked these exact flights on the exact days in the past for yearly medical visits. I know the new program is different. It used to cost 15K in points. Now it’s over 30K. Although I just checked now and it’s surprisingly lower. 29,700 points plus $88. So yes, in my opinion that is a ridiculous increase for 2 short 45 minute flights on a dash 8.

i know your points may come up different but feel free to check for yourself. Dec 15 YMM-YEG. Dec 17 YEG-YMM
If I buy YMM-YEG right now on 72 hours' notice, the cash fare is $824 round-trip. If I book two weeks out, the same round-trip costs $412.

If I book YMM-YEG right now, on 72 hours' notice, it's 29,300 points round-trip. If I book two weeks out, the same round-trip costs 10,200.

Originally Posted by WestonC
So yes, in my opinion that is a ridiculous increase for 2 short 45 minute flights on a dash 8.
Those two short 45-minute flights on a Dash 8 don't exist right now - and if they did, they'd each cost ~5,100 points too, booked two weeks to a year in advance.

You're right, the arbitrage opportunity for last-minute bookings is not what it was in the award chart released 5 years ago, although I would argue that 29,300 points for $736 saved vs, buying cash is still pretty solid value.

...but you're presenting the edge case of your last-minute booking as if that's the permanent, fixed cost for "two 45-minute flights", when in reality the cost has gone *down* 30% for all but the last-minute traveler.

If you love the new program, or hate the new program, there are facts to justify both. You don't need to exaggerate to get your point across.