FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]
Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:55 am
LufthansaFlyer

Originally Posted by Ditto
That's very true, and therefore different airlines end up interpreting it differently.

Yes, but paragraph 3 which you quote have been there since October 1st, however now paragraph 2 have changed.

This has only been changed yesterday, have you flown internationally out of RSA today?
trying to track these policies is like trying to herd squirrels.......I guess I'll be a guinea pig in a few weeks.

When I read paragraph 2, I don't see much difference from the previous gazette. Did I miss something obvious? Seems like they clarified a few things, but created nothing new.

I suspect the technicality is the statement that starts 3(a): 'subject to the travel requirements of a country of destination' which 'should' require testing only if traveling to places that require it. I don't get the impression that it is a blanket statement for every single departing int'l pax. Could ZA even execute testing for that many people in such a short window? Doubtful. How many people would miss flights, etc.

The difference I see between paragraph 2 and 3 is paragraph 2's section (K) for in bound travelers:

an Operator shall not board any passenger without a valid negative PCR or a valid COVID -19 negative test certificate;

Paragraph 3 does not have language as harsh as what (K) states in 2. I see it as you better have a test if the place you're going to needs one. Or did they forget the sentence saying it applies to ZA residents flying out of the country! . Seems like any of their commentary is only 80% complete.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 5, 2020 at 4:43 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member