FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Platinum reportedly considering changing ways to use $200 airline credit
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:39 pm
PointsPanda

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
We're not saying the travel credit should be totally open like Chase CSR, but they really should open it in scope. Perhaps allow it to be used in airport restaurants, seat selection, upgrades (officially, as I know sometimes Delta skymiles redemption gets taxes auto-covered by the $200 credit), onboard food, etc. I mean basically now its limited to bags which is pointless as amex platinum/biz platinum are road warriors that doesn't usually check bags and when they do its often included, and then even then you need to add it at the airport, if you add it is part of your ticket no guarantee its getting processed correctly. Lounge fees are also included, but we all have priority pass, and amex own lounge selection anyways, so whats left, maybe pet fees? Its impossible to hit without cheating and buying gift cards or similar (which most of those loopholes closed now). Or at least put the $200 credit for Amex travel to encourage people to use it.

We're not saying make it super easy, just move the needle down to something more reasonable. Amex platinum does not bring much to the table right now, they got rid of 10 gogo passes, they got rid of boingo, wework benefits expire soon, and they raised their annual fee and virtually no bonus categories. (OK 5x on plane tix whoopy, i'd much rather get 3x on my CSR and be covered with much better bag and delay insurance). Also hilton and marriot have extremely diluted what "gold" status earns you and usually doesn't even get you into the lounge or breakfast anymore. Amex has failed to address this by upping the status level or adding more benefits.

The card just isn't competitive, and is just riding on the fact that some less informed babyboomers think the amex platinum is still some kind of status symbol and proudly throw it to pay for dinners to "impress people" even though amex dishes them out like candy and literally nobody is impressed. Personally I don't think this brand value will last that much longer, nobody in my group (30s digital nomads) uses amex, virtually everyone has a CSR or similar. Oftentimes when we split the bill here in Mexico with other expats its not uncommon 5 people all throw a CSR on the bill tray table. Consumers are smart and want bang for their buck. Amex as a premium brand is fading with time, and rather then get competitive they are just raising the fees and scraping benefits, I don't think its going to end well for them in this competitive market. Not only do they have Chase breathing down their throat but now Capital One has gotten in the game, Citi is still a competitor and you have some other minor competitors like Barclays too. Amex bean counters are still acting like its 2007 where they were the only game in town for a membership rewards program that transfers to airlines, its not going to end well for them.

Anyways I think Amex is crazy for sending their annual fees through the roof while cutting benefits while all their competitors are doing the opposite.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Dec 2, 2020 at 12:49 pm