FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:05 am
tlott

Originally Posted by the810
And yet their cases skyrocket, almost if those meassures didn't make too much difference.

I understand people who choose places with low infection rate and I understand people who choose places with few restrictions. And of course, the combination of both would be the best. But why would someone pick a place with many restrictions and a large infection rate?
I arrived when there were no restrictions and low infection rates, but have remained as the situation has gone downhill.

Turkey only reported hospitalized patients, not positive test results, until the other day, so the chart looks crazy. With the Turkish contact tracing app, it has been possible to watch the heat map of infections (I believe populated by the historical location history of covid19 positives who also have the app on their phones) change for the worse over the last couple months... at first it was in the high density working class neighborhoods of istanbul (for instance) - bright red on the heat map - while the rest of the city had almost no infections. Now the entire city is blanketed in red.

Spread in the wealthier parts of Istanbul must be driven mostly in households and offices... in the neighborhood I've been living it is quite difficult get in close proximity to anyone for more than a minute or two - and when that happens we are both masked (and even that is rare... almost always possible to keep distance). Trams and busses can be too busy for my comfort, but the metro is very low density outside of peak hours. A lot depends on your personal habits I suppose. Given the overall situation, and alternatives, I am happy to get some work done, enjoy food I love, walks along the bosphorus, relatively good weather (has been mostly 15-20 C and sunny for last couple weeks). Short of fully isolating or going to the southern hemisphere, can't imagine the risk of infection here (for me) could be much lower... but again depends on your activities.