FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AstraZeneca [and other] vaccine trial experience
Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:04 am
doctoravios

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1
Would you prefer to be vaccinated in 3 months or wait another 6 for a second study to determine possible dosing variations???

I deal with people who may very well be Covid + every day.

If my hospital offers me an AZ vaccination next week versus waiting for Moderna in 6 months, it is a no-brainer for me.

If you want to wait, so be it.
Personally, I would rather wait because I am not in a high-risk category and if exposure to an adenoviral vector reduced the potential efficacy of future vaccines with the same delivery mechanism due to vector immunity then I would want to know about it rather than take my chances. That said, as others have noted, I do not believe the 90% vs 62% difference is genuine, mainly due to differences in the cohort of each group. But my "beliefs" are worth nothing in comparison to a well-powered RCT to address the question which has arisen due to the half-dose subgroup.

On the other hand, if I were over 70 with a lot of risk factors for serious illness then of course I would not wait. I would have a lot more to lose by developing COVID-19 than from taking even a poorly efficacious vaccine.