FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:59 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sziwan
A few weeks ago I made a booking using the following route: JFK-LHR-KRK + WAW-LHR-JFK return (J+W restricted fare).
Given this was a recent booking you must have known this was a speculative arrangement!

The agent should have offerend JFK-LHR-FRA/MUC-KRK, with the longhaul on BA, or offered a WAW / PRG option, involving Lufthansa on shorthaul. The problem is that unless you find a viable route, in the same cabin, on Lufthansa yourself, then BA's computers aren't good at finding non BA services. Moreover you have the FRA/MUC thing, which is almost guaranteed to be hidden to the agent. So what I would do is do the research first to find the BA + LH services that will get you to Poland and ring up with a specific set of flights in mind. And a few alternatives too. It may take a while but it should be possible. Longhaul replacement flights won't be available at this remove.

It is possible to strip out the oubound, fly just the inbound and get an Invioluntary Refund on the unused sectors. But it is rarely a good idea, and I would imagine your return flights will be cancelled too, given the grave situation in both the UK and Poland.