FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T4 at JFK (mostly DL) poor design
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:07 pm
bennos

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by N590UA
Are you referring to current T2 connecting to T4 or the ex-Pan Am WorldPort connecting to T4? (sorry, I forget if both buildings were known as just T2 at one point.)
I was referring to current T4 and T2. As part of the demolition of the WorldPort, there was originally going to be a connector built between T2 and T4. It's actually referenced in the original DL press release:

With construction underway, completion of phase one and relocation of Delta's Terminal 3 operations to Terminal 4 is anticipated in May 2013. Delta's JFK terminal project includes: the expansion of Concourse B at Terminal 4, including nine new international gates; the construction of a passenger connector between Terminal 2 and Terminal 4; expanded areas for baggage claim, Customs and Border Protection, and, ultimately, the demolition of Terminal 3, which will be completed for aircraft parking in May 2015.
There's a picture at Cranky Flier, though it's not the original PANYNJ rendering that I can't seem to find anywhere.

IIRC, T2 and T3 were already connected with moving walkways before they demolished it. They were old, but definitely efficient. Couldn't DL just have kept T3 around and just built a walkway from the edge of the old Pan Am Terminal to T4? Or was that what you were referring to above?
Yeah, I was proposing some variation on that. Looking at the picture, I don't think they gained any material hard stand space by not building the connector, so it was almost certainly a cost thing. Though it doesn't look like the previous T2-T3 connector could have been repurposed in its entirety, since it turns towards old-T3 in the wrong direction for T4.

Originally Posted by bgriff
And T3 had some separation between some gates, I guess is one nice thing you could say about it (though not universally — the front section, the original WorldPort, had 6 or so gates in an open area similar to T2). IIRC the club lounge situation was 3 separate lounges (which had once been a Crown Room Club, a Business Class lounge, and a First Class lounge when Delta had those 3 different products), which I guess were fine enough by the standards of Delta lounges at the time, but it was a complicated setup — each of the lounges kept different hours and I remember frequently having to go to the next one for early and late departures.
Yeah, the gate separation was about the only nice thing about T3. I did like the lounge that you had to take the elevator up to since it had pretty good views. I mostly avoided the other T3 lounges.

Originally Posted by jrl767
the issue is that some passengers can easily get confused and attempt to board the wrong flight ... I’ve seen it even more interesting when BWI, also departing within the same 10-20-min window, has been at an adjacent gate or right across the hall
The GAs should be aware of this proximity and pay attention to the scanner rejecting boarding passes for the wrong flight.