FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air Seeks to Buy Asiana (Recent News Article)
Old Nov 19, 2020, 5:13 pm
yeunganson

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by zeer0
I finally found the page with the new award charts, holy .... this is TERRIBLE! I didn't realize they were switching to a distance-based chart like Avios, with most longhaul redemptions literally doubling in price. I just redeemed some miles for a winter trip to Brazil, and I'll be looking to get rid of the rest with 1 last Europe redemption in the summer.

This is going to be an absolutely worthless program. Redeem your miles ASAP everybody!!
There are practical problems as in most countries are in lockdown so you can't go unless you have citizenship. Tourist is the last to be allowed in after everyone gets vaccinated likely in spring/summer 2021.

There may also be other offers to Asiana by other South Korean firms now vaccine is in sight. We thought Hyundai was going to buy Asiana just like end of last year. Now it's Korean Air. Maybe tomorrow it's Samsung or others. It's not settled until the process passed regulatory anti-trust issues.

Even if Korea Air is buying Asiana is approved, the deal doesn't close until at least summer 2021. Then it will be another year or two or three for integration. If we use Marriott swallowing SPG as an example, it was 2015. It wasn't until 2018 before the frequent staying guest programs were merged. So unless South Koreans are super efficient compared to staff at Marriott/SPG, it will take about the same 3 years is my guess.