FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air Seeks to Buy Asiana (Recent News Article)
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:48 pm
SightseeMC

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I would use them ASAP as they will either become Korean Air miles which were recently massively devalued and are almost useless except for one-way non-stop short-haul flights in economy on routes not served by LCCs or they will become completely useless. I can't imagine them not honoring tickets already issued though, so you can book as far out as the schedule allows. For example, when US Airways merged with AA, Star Alliance awards booked on the US Airways program were still valid after they switched to Oneworld and same for LATAM AFAIK.
My one caveat to this advice would be that you probably don't have to burn your miles immediately. This will take time to play out, and then time to implement, and then time to accomplish. KE buying OZ is a big deal, and they won't be crushing anything currently running fine within OZ for months afterwards, and I'd bet 1+ years. That said, KE has shown they will give no notice before they announce changes (See what they did with their own program) - but still, most of those plans didn't start going into effect for some time.

So I'd plan to use miles sooner-rather-than-later, but I wouldn't book something now just to burn them.