FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asiana acquired by HYUNDAI HDC starting with new management
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:07 am
coolfish1103

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by traxtonus
Do you reckon another *A airline like TK would so kindly provide a status match for all of us floundering *G Asiana members? Also, will Asiana Club suddenly cease to exist and all our accrued miles + memberships be gone without a trace? In the event that this does occur, what will happen to any flights already booked with Asiana miles? Say I have a flight in Oct-2021 which I used Asiana miles to book, but Asiana Club goes kaput in Jun-2021, does that mean my Oct-2021 flight is no longer valid? Are there any previous case studies of similar dissolved airline status memberships for reference?
This is a merger. Asiana isn't going bankrupt so what you mentioned is not going to happen.

I highly doubt Turkish Airlines will be offering status match for members base in Seoul. Chances will be higher for those airlines based around East Asia, and may not just be Star Alliance airlines. One can reasonably expect maybe Air China or ANA to lend a hand, but under the current pandemic situation it's better to assume no one will status match someone who is not based in the location they actively serve.

What you may expect is Korean Air match the corresponding status base on what they are updating in 2022. I don't think they will match to Morning Calm cause it makes unnecessary complexities. The new program will feature Silver (10k), Gold (40k), Platinum (70k) and Diamond (100k) while discontinuing life time million status.

You can reasonably expect Korean Air will match:
- Asiana Gold to Korean Air Silver
- Asiana Diamond to Korean Air Silver or Gold
- Asiana Diamond+ to Korean Air Gold or Platinum
- Asiana Platinum to Korean Air Million Miler (under the old program) or Diamond (under the new program)

It's probably easier that they just match Diamond to Gold and Diamond+ to Platinum for the first year and then you will need to qualify under the new 40k and 70k rule for the following year.

Any flights already booked under Asiana should be honored as Asiana is still in operation. When Asiana cease to operate, the ticket will either be honored by Korean Air or Asiana will return the $ or miles. I am quite certain Korean Air will give Asiana members a timeline on what will happen and what to do. They likely will also set a deadline on when is the last date to issue award tickets or upgrades. If your booking is made with another star alliance member then they will need to take care of you when Asiana disappears, not Korean Air.

It's unlikely Korean Air will make Asiana miles disappear, but they may discount them (like 1.5 Asiana Club miles to 1 Korean Air SKYPASS miles). Though I think the new SKYPASS program is already a significant downgrade I don't see them needing to devalue Asiana Club miles more.

Most things are too early to tell at this time. I would use up the miles if I can find an award and an allowed to travel.

Originally Posted by Gasolin
The other side includes the sister of the Cho family, who made a plane turn back because some peanuts were not "peeled". I think she will be furious!
Well whatever, let's see how it goes.
KDB is also lending money to Hanjin so I doubt they will oppose to what KDB is doing.