FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:14 pm
rivlinm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
In my below case, I was told No by BA within 48 hours of my ec261 request

BA: "I'd like to inform you that your claim for compensation under EU legislation has been refused because, BA0067 on 02 November was moved to a different time due to commercial reasons."

Isn't a commercial reason the exact reason EC261 exists? What would be the suggested follow up. USA based.

Originally Posted by rivlinm
Booked IST>LHR>PHL>TPA on Oct21 to fly on NOV02

BA IST>LHR 10:00-11:30
BA LHR>PHL 2:15-5:15
AA PHL>TPA 7:05-9:43

Booked an AA ticket, but with BA flights on the first two segments.

Oct25 I got an email about a random reservation (not in my name) changed on AA. I asked on twitter and they said the rep I called hadn't closed out my flight before editing someone else's. I said I hadn't called. They said sorry and I had a flight change and someone was trying to fix it for me.

Turns out the LHR>PHL (BA67) had changed to a 4:15 departure and it would make me miss my PHL flight. There were no other options besides an overnight in PHL.

I did a lot of communication with AA over twitter and in person once at the airport. They claim they never change the flight time and AA had just booked my ticket with a wrong time & and illegal connection.

When I arrived in PHL, AA said BA would need to take care of my hotel. BA said they didn't since AA booked the wrong ticket but finally caved. (they put me in a Clarion which was pretty dumpy, but whatever...) The BA rep told me the flight time had been changed Nov 19 (two days before I booked, and 14 days before the flight), but in LHR they kept telling my this flight had ALWAYS been a 4:15 departure.

Clearly BA changed the schedule but never told AA, or AA just failed to update their system and sold me an illegal ticket.

Do I have any chance at EC 261? I arrived over 12 hours late. The flight was not formally delayed, but a miss communicated schedule change less than 14 days out caused me to miss connect. BA operated the flight, I feel it should be on them, even though AA seems to have dropped the ball.