FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex vs Amazon disputes
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2020, 4:49 pm
skimthetrees

Programs: UA, AS
I have my Amex security set up to text me whenever a charge is made without the card present. Usually this is a bunch of spam notifying me of charges I know I made but it is a nice check. A couple of months ago received a text notifying me of a charge from Amazon Marketplace for $70-$80 which I did not recognize. I started digging through my Amazon orders to see if this was a legitimate charge for something I ordered, possibly a back-order, but it was not my charge. I then called Amazon and they had me confirm information for my card and my account and the rep kept asking me if I had any other e-mails. It turns out someone had opened a separate account using my name and my card info but a different e-mail address. I told the rep the other account was fraudulent and to shut it down. I was a bit surprised when they said they would have to kick it over to their fraud protection department for investigation and would not immediately shut down the fraudulent account. After pressing the rep let on that it was possible that I was the fraudster and the other account was genuine which was why they would not immediately shut down the other account. They did freeze the disputed transaction pending investigation (item not yet shipped) and told me to contact Amex to report it which I did immediately. Amex removed the charge, shut down my card and sent me a replacement and told me to contact Amazon (which I had already done).

A favorable resolution for me but I fortunately caught this immediately thanks to text alerts, reported it immediately, and Amex (and I assume Amazon after their investigation) took care of it. How long was it after the charges were made before you reported the fraudulent charges?