FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:36 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by AdeAhmed
hello all...im thinking of signing up for this card for my wife (I myself am Canadian), but had a few questions based on my ritz marriott card and other tricks that ive read used in the past as well as general question

1. Is the ability to use the $300 credit for restaurant purchases still available?
2. Is the $300 credit once per card year or once per calendar year...i think it is card year...so if i signed up now i could only get one credit between now and nov 2021, I assume?
3. does the refundable booking trick work to trigger/use the $300 credit? ie book a refundable trip, receive the creidt then cancel the trip...ive seen this done with other Amex in the past (at least in Canada)
4. The chase cards have a credit limit trick where reducing the limit to some low level like $1,000 results in annual fee being reversed...does amex do something similar?

TIA
1. As long as it is processed by a Marriott property it should work. You have to be careful about restaurant's in a hotel that have their own POS name.
2. It can be multiple transactions.
3. Amex US has in the past closed accounts for much less than that. Those who were lucky at first (got the credit) then saw the credit removed weeks/months after. I wouldn't mess around. You're also taking a risk on the fact that the property might go bust, not refund you promptly. Easiest is to buy gift cards if you want to use the credit right away (it will also count towards minimum spend requirements).
4. No. Amex also gives a minimum credit limit of $3100 on their $450 annual fee cards due to legislation and them padding that a bit. Besides, the annual fee is really only $150 net (+ not taking into account the free night award).