FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cape Town - any recent info from the ground?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:10 am
FriscoHeavy
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelBeyond
As a South African residing in Cape Town (I am Travel Beyond's head guide here), I can confirm that Cape Town is very much open for business. Most shops and restaurants are functioning as usual albeit with certain Covid mitigation guidelines in place. It is compulsory to wear masks in public and this rule is strictly adhered to in most places that international visitors will frequent. Public places of interest and tourist attractions also open. Having said that there appears to be a fair amount of leeway given to people out in the open where close proximity is not an issue. It's a matter of common sense and consideration. Alcohol based hand-sanitizers are used at entrances to most premises. Traffic in the usual points of congestion is significantly reduced due to a lot of people still working from home. Restrictions on international travel for tourism purposes are still in place and major source destinations have been graded according to current infection rates. Infection, hospitalization and mortality rates in South Africa are still historically low in comparison to most major Western source markets. The reasons for this are still not fully understood. There is currently a slight uptick on the aforementioned rates though this is not significant change the country’s status. It’s advisable to check with a trusted travel advisor before finalizing any travel arrangements as with all Covid related matters, thing can change quickly.
Thank you for the report. It sounds as things are hopeful. We are planning to return for a trip in Feb/March 2022. By then, a vaccine will be widely available and I'd imagine it will much more 'life back to normal' situation.

I'm feeling more optimistic about booking our trips in March/April 2021.

We are eager to return, but only under mostly normal circumstances (being able to freely visit wineries, restaurants, etc and not wear a [mod edit] mask around everywhere we go, including walking around outside).

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 12, 2020 at 7:06 am Reason: Removed inappropriate comment