FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oregon/NoCal questions
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:57 pm
TravelDoorsOut

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
You're probably in Portland by now, but in case you're still consulting this thread, I'd definitely drop Crater Lake and Lassen. The National Park Service has already closed some of the key roads at Crater Lake and services are quite limited, and I'd imagine the same will apply to Lassen - it's already winter in the high country. Plus, in November the odds are good that everything will be socked in, so the scenery will be obscured big time.

After Hood River, I'd simply rocket south on I-5 to Oregon Hwy 38, then out to the coast. Follow US 101 south along the scenic southern part of the Oregon coast and into the redwoods. If there's still time for the Monterey Peninsula, I'd shoot through San Francisco on the way south and spend a couple of days around Monterey, Carmel, and the Point Lobos nature reserve on the coast between Carmel and Big Sur.

Here's a map. Even with 9 days you're going to have to spend a fair amount of time in the car and will need to set priorities. https://goo.gl/maps/uvowEH6JV5Zz4g3c7

Trip Advisor forums (not as good as FT) basically crucified me for trying to go to the South Entrance of Crater Lake which is open with a 3 year old in a 4x4. Ive driven all over the Rockies in winter and feel pretty confident. Tomorrow, I just checked weather and they are saying “Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 30. Wind chill values as low as zero. Northeast wind 7 to 13 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.” We would leave tomorrow at 8am, shoot down 97 to be there by noon-ish. Is this a good idea and TA forum is over exaggerating or don’t go?

I looked at the map, looks great! How did you pick those towns? Is that recs or just random towns along the route?

Last edited by TravelDoorsOut; Nov 8, 2020 at 10:21 pm