FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you miss the wash bag if BA stopped distributing them?
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:07 pm
PGberkshire

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
I promise I was not planted here by BA to socialize a new cost-cutting scheme.
I'm curious, though, whether people would miss the wash bags if BA were to stop distributing them.
Of course I know, were that really to happen, the cries of distress that would go up on this board would be immeasurable.
But as someone who is deeply troubled by the tremendous amount of waste these bags generate, I am wondering if anyone gets good use out of them.

In my case, the only products I've ever been interested in have been the eye shade, the toothbrush, and the tissues.
But as a regular user of eyeshades, I now carry my own. And as a regular user of a toothbrush, I carry my own. And if I need a tissue, grabbing one out of the lav is not a terrible inconvenience.

What if BA (and the other airlines) had all of the products available (even the stupid little bag itself, for those who are able to make good use of them) on demand? Then you could just take what you need and not have to throw out the rest. Doesn't that make a lot more sense? What am I missing? Please assume a post-covid world in your response; I get that in the current environment BA are trying to reduce handling of individual products -- at least that's their excuse for the embarrassing meals they're serving -- but hopefully one day things will return to near normal.

(BTW, I'm sorry to sound like the tree hugger I am, but remember that you're not obligated to take the wash bag when offered it. I routinely decline.)
I would prefer less in the bag, but a higher quality product: so more value to me and less waste.
Something like a Topo Design bag
Le Labo or Malin and Goetz products (like Delta)
Bamboo wood toothbrush and decent toothpaste like Dr Bronners Organic.

Then the rest, like eye mask, socks, pen, ear plugs etc can be on demand / self service

Anyway, won’t happen because BA are cheap and don’t know what style/quality/fashion is if it hit them in the face.