FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oregon/NoCal questions
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:13 pm
rowsign

Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut
Hey all,

We are leaving in a tomorrow to Portland, I understand the rioting isn't great, but there is so much to do around that should be enough to keep us busy. The plan is: Portland --> Hood River --> Newport/Astoria?--> Crater Lake --> Redwood --> Lassen Volcano --> and Monterey/Big Sur to finish off the trip. 9 days total.

I have a few questions:
1- Is there a place in portland where you guys would recommend staying? We are looking for downtown, but with rioting, not sure if there is a place that is safer than others.
2- Besides our itinerary or instead off, can you please give recs? We are 2 adults and a 3 year old, we will have a car and we are easy going. Love food, wine, scenery, etc.
3- Any coastal towns you'd recommend besides Newport?

Would love any and all pointers. Leaving in soon.

Thanks!

Just avoid the area around the Federal Courthouse at SW 3rd and Main. The Pearl District is fine and they have a Residence Inn in The Pearl (NW 9th) that is out of the problem area. Canopy by Hilton on Glisan would be out of the problems too as would Hampton Inn and Suites on Flanders. There is a Hyatt Centric on Alder that should remain free of any problems but across the street is a hotel, The Sentinal that is owned by Trumps former Sec. to the UN, Gordon Sondland so maybe avoid that area. I do not know anything about room at these places inside since I live here; however, The Pearl District is part of my morning running route and it has not been effected by the current problems outside of a couple of very isolated instances in the past. The Pearl is mostly high end condos and a nice area to walk, even with a little one.

CJS