FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020
Old Oct 29, 2020, 6:48 am
ND76

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Zorak
As I asked out the last time this came up, isn't DTW A longer and still only MCT of 30 minutes? And according to its MCT thread, JFK T4 is 35 minutes, and only 40 if changing T2<->T4.
I had a discussion on here with someone who was familiar with various hub airports, and that poster indicated that DTW Concourse A is about 4,800 feet long; I was thinking that IAD's mid-field concourse B was longer (sure seems that way as it does not have moving walkways or a tram), but it comes in at only 3,800 feet long.

I connected through SLC yesterday morning. My flight from RDM parked at new gate B2, and my onward flight to DCA left from A18. My actual destination was the SkyClub, which is at the east end of new concourse A. It took me a solid 15 minutes of continuous walking to get from the west end of B, down through the tunnel located near gates B10 and A14, then up the tunnel and going east toward the SC. In the old days, I could get from gate D13 to gate C13 in about 8 minutes if I tried.

The SLC airport authority did a good job in constructing wide, spacious concourses. Hopefully the lockdowns will end soon and we'll get back to normal, and we'll then see how good the new airport can be.

As far as the SkyClub is concerned, it is now fully opened. The second bar (which is closer to the Sky Deck) opened at 10 a.m.; the first bar was in operation when I was there (between 8:45 and 9:45 am). Also, the seating area at the southeast corner of the club is now open (it was closed in September when I was first there). I really like this club and look forward to working out more of my west coast trips to connect through SLC.

As far as demolition is concerned, I stood on the Sky Deck watching the start of demolition of the former "Terminal 2" building which is immediately to the east of the new Concourse A.