FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:25 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by the810
Västra Götaland has significantly smaller numbers than Skåne or Stockholm, so I wouldn't be so sure about Göteborg.

The bigger issue though is that according to what I've heard from people living in Uppsala, the Covid fatigue is now hitting Sweden as well and people seem to largely ignore the new recommendations introduced in Uppsala few days ago. I'm curious where will all of this lead to.

I'm now considering spending some time in Gotland, doing some outdoor activities that would allow plenty of physical distancing while still being able to maintain healthy lifestyle. It should also be cheaper than the rest of Sweden, at least accomodation-wise. I'm currently booked in Stockholm until mid-November. I will then probably trial a few days in Gotland (if possible, I'll also get tested before I go as I would hate to bring new case to the community) and if I like it, I can see myself staying for a while.

Another option I'm now seriously considering is Estonia or Finland. It would require self-isolation for a while (~7 days in EE, not sure about FI) but it would probably be worth it.
Gothenburg has so little capacity to handle a big uptick in hospitalizations even in the best of times that it won't be too long before concerns in Gothenburg rise enough that its region goes the way of Malmo/Skane for much of what remains for this quarter.

Gotland/Visby is cute and nice in the summer, but spending more than a few days in winter there sounds way more dull than being on the mainland where a visitor does not have to count on airlift/boats to go elsewhere. Gotland has very limited medical capacity to handle a surge of hospitalizations for the fall/winter for those with respiratory/vascular challenges arising from Covid-19.