FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced
Old Oct 27, 2020, 4:06 pm
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by GXWBA
I haven't requested refunds on them yet, are refunds on cancelled flights more likely to give Gold upgrades than FTVs, if I were to accept one?
I have no insight into whether BA's thinking is anything along these lines. But my personal reasoning was as follows.

Assume that I have a booking on which I'm going to earn 280 TPs in January, and my year end is February.

If a sector on that booking is cancelled, and I change the date of the booking to March, I'm going to be earning those 280 TPs on that booking in March. There's no obvious reason why BA should credit me 280 TPs in January when all I've done is to defer the TP earning for a couple of months, in the same way as a voluntary change of booking. Otherwise, even if BA is prepared to give credit for Covid-related cancellations, that booking will double-dip TPs.

However, if a sector on that booking is cancelled and I completely cancel the booking for a refund, I'm never going to be earning the TPs on that booking at any time. It's in those circumstances that BA might allow me the credit for that booking - there will be no question of double-dipping on that booking. That's why I waited until all my relevant bookings were cancelled for refunds before I asked.