FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reverse Redeye from Europe?
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2020, 11:00 am
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME when I fly to Buenos Aires, by the time I clear immigration and customs and get to my hotel, it's mid-morning. I've never waited for my room, in Argentina or Brazil, longer than the time it takes to drink a glass of champagne. For the return, it's easy to get a four or five o'clock checkout with status or on a FHR booking; leaving then is very reasonable for a flight scheduled to depart around 8:00 or 8:30 pm. No problem.

OTOH arriving in Europe at 6 am means being homeless for most of the morning. If it's Italy, IME you will not be given a room until the official check in time, typically 3 pm, when all rooms in the hotel suddenly become magically clean and available for arriving guests.
Plenty of South America flights arrive 6 to 7 AM, in both directions. Plenty leave at 10pm or later. You have had the best of luck with all the stars aligned. I've had mixed 'early check in" results on every continent I've visited. And 90+ percent of the traveling public, perhaps 95% or more, aren't blessed with status or FHR booking possibilities.

And lest we forget how many people are not going to a hotel, and check in / out is the least of their concerns.