FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Backpacking?
Thread: Backpacking?
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:32 pm
Loren Pechtel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
Welcome to Flyertalk! I'm impressed that you made your account in 2015 but this is your first post!

Flyertalk tends to be more of a fancy hotel crowd than a backpacking crowd, but based on my limited hiking experience, I think that a "meal" while backpacking often consists of a group of snacks (ideally healthy) rather than an entree. One thing you can look into is meals ready to eat (MRE) which the military uses. They are sold on eBay, and although I've never tried them, they seem to meet your requirements.
For a dayhike it's usually a group of snacks. Much of what people carry for a dayhike would prove way too heavy for the sort of trip she is talking about, however. Likewise, skip the MREs--far too heavy.

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Most of my hiking has been around SoCal til recently, so I only just started filtering when we started doing stuff in the PNW. If your filter is one of the little Sawyer filters that has a 1 L bag, be forewarned that the bags have a tendency to pop during use. I was lucky enough to read about this before my first use and brought (and pre-tested) a platypus bag, but ran into someone on the Mt Hood Timberline Trail who didn't do his homework and we ended up lending him a backup filter setup. It sounds like lots of people use emptied out soda bottles that they just crush and stuff in a pocket in their pack.
Mine's smaller than that--a head that goes in the water, a tube to such through. I'm sure it wouldn't be the easiest thing to use but it's emergency gear as I sometimes encounter seasonal water. If I were to do longer trips in areas where water collection could be counted on I would have a better filter.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
would have been interesting if OP mentioned maximum length of trip

canned protein in oil would be one thing with good 'nutrition'
Cans?!?! What sort of blasphemer are you?!?! Cans are heavy!

Now, there are foil packets of tuna these days--lightweight non-perishable protein.

agree with mention of military etc style meals, in the US there is also the disaster preparation industry, not sure what kinds of options they have but i imagine there are many with many price levels, as it keeps growing
They're interested in long storage times. She's after light weight.

Last edited by EmailKid; Oct 27, 2020 at 6:59 pm Reason: Back to back posts