FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA experience of flying COVID+ or next to someone that is?
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:49 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes, they do. At check in, there is a screen you where you have to self-certify that you haven't tested positive for COVID, haven't come in contact with someone who has tested for COVID, etc. That said, because it's up to the traveler to answer truthfully, it's pretty much lip service and tying to look like they care - without testing before departure, etc., who's to say it's not easy to just say no, no matter what.

I'm not sure what the penalty is if you lie and fly when infected or potentially so. But they do ask. You'd think people would be smart enough to stay out of the public if they were potentially infected, but let's face it, not all are. One (of many) good reasons not to fly at the moment unless it's absolutely necessary.
But I assume there is no penalty for lying on the declaration and then being responsible for sickening other people, potentially fatally, without recourse aside from possibly being banned from flying United for some unknown length of time, nor will United, I assume, contact everyone who was on that flight and tell them they were potentially infected (not just a couple rows) nor would United disclose the name of that passenger without a court order, so someone needs to be sued first to force disclosure.

It's not a United specific problem, it's a broader travel problem that needs sharper teeth to improve compliance.