FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Local lockdowns in the UK
View Single Post
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:49 am
Gagravarr

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by psychopompos
We have a relative scheduled to visit us in London in a couple of weeks, booked under the assumption that she could come, self-isolate with us for the duration of her trip (less than 14 days) and then fly out. Does being in a High (Tier 2) area change that calculation in any way? Technically, she's a different household and we'd be mixing. Or am I reading this too narrowly and rather than mixing of household she becomes a part of our household during her stay here?
In the national lockdown in the spring/summer, it was allowed to move in with people, even if temporarily. IIRC government ministers said that moving in for the night didn't count, but a stay of about a week did.

Much of the concern at the moment is about mixing between households, catching COVID when visiting other people and taking it back with them to their own household (or worse others!) to spread. Someone moving in and not leaving for 14 days avoids most of that.

The law governing tier 2 lockdown is at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../contents/made . I can't see anything in there which specifies how long someone needs to move in for to could as joining a household.

I can't see a 2 night stay counting as allowed. Someone coming for their 14 days self-isolation then staying on for another 2 weeks seems to be fine on my reading. In between is fuzzier...