FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Pre-flight COVID Testing for SFO-Hawai'i (and other destinations)
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:10 pm
SFO_UGS

Programs: United Global Services
Originally Posted by SFO_UGS
When Hawaii announced they would accept a negative antigen test to avoid the 14-day quarantine, I started planning for a 16 Oct departure. For the previous 3 months, I had been moving this SFO-HNL trip forward on the Calendar anticipating when Hawaii might open.

In late Sept, ...................
Upon arrival into HNL, I was at the front of the airplane. As we came into the gate area, a man with a large placard of a QR code waved you left if you had a QR code and right if you didn't. I moved left. Another flight had also landed so we all merged toward the waiting, make-shift, long tables. (I counted 9 tables with 2 in-take processors per table.) I was about the 15th person in line - it moved quickly. My process did not go as smoothly as others. It's clear those checking your documentation are in training or recently trained. My processor (male, maybe mid-to late 20's) didn't speak English very well, but that's OK. We were able to get through it. He asked for my QR code (which I displayed on my phone) and then my ID (I used my driver's license). He asked me where I was staying (a hotel, but didn't request the confirmation or documentation) and how long (3 nights). He then asked for my testing documentation. I was going to ask him "Doesn't it show up on your iPad," but I let it go. I handed him my print-out from Color. He looked at the document, then he looked at his list of preferred providers, and then back at the document. He did this several times. He couldn't find the word "Color" on my document (it was in black and white). I pointed it out, he checked his list, and then, he started using his phone. I thought he was calling for assistance, but he called the number I had on my paperwork, which was my back-up cell phone. He looked at his phone and motioned to me. I had no idea what he wanted. Then, he turned around his iPad and asked if the number in the paperwork was mine. I said it's my other phone, reached into my backpack, and he rang that phone. My process was complete. I was waved on through. In total, it took about 3-4 minutes.

At the rental car desk, I was asked if I was under the 14-day quarantine as she handed me my keys. I said "no," accepted the keys, and walked to my rental vehicle. No paperwork was asked or offered.

Upon arrival at the hotel, I had to login into travel.hawaii.gov to show that the paperwork review indicated I had a negative antigen test. Personally, I dislike using my phone upon demand because you never know if the signal will be strong enough to login. It was this time. But, check-in, overall, was a bit maddening. Again, with the original desk attendant, English was not his primary language so communication was challenging. Another person at the desk stepped in and offered assistance.

Most people are wearing their masks; very few are not. Masks are required in stores, shops, etc. They can be removed once seated at a restaurant. It could be my sensitive nature, but the people in the shops are much nicer than on previous visits prior to the pandemic. Though, restaurant service is bad. I've been to 3 restaurants and service has been abysmal. I don't know if they're short-handed (likely) or untrained (the maitre d was our wait-person in one establishment), but it's been fairly slow, missing food items, items we didn't order, overcooked food, and getting a refill on water was next to impossible. Since some tables are blocked and you have less people, I don't understand why service is challenging. But, you just go with it.

On this trip, the weather is miserable. I hate humidity! :-) But I was able to see my friend and his health (unrelated to COVID-19) and spirit are much improved since my last visit. The process was worth it for that reason.

Originally Posted by greenteamuimui
Can you share whether the reports from both the free city test and the United partnered test look the same? I wanted to make sure that Hawaii will also accept the free city test report (since it's still administered by Color) even though I am not getting it through United. Thanks!
The report (the document with your test results) from the free city testing site (managed by Color) and the United partner at the long-term parking lot (also managed by Color) were exactly the same.

The document is agnostic as to whether the test result was obtained through the city of SF or United. In other words, "City of SF" or "United" do not show up on the document/report.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 18, 2020 at 1:48 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member