FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How long to allow for a "Do it myself" INTL->Domestic Connection at GRU?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:22 pm
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
I was just in GRU 2 weeks ago, the international terminal for both outbound and inbound is practically a ghost town, including immigration and getting to the domestic terminal is a piece of cake, they're connected by a walkway that takes maybe 10 minutes to walk through. I'd say 90 minutes or more is easy, 60-80 minutes cutting it a bit tight but you'd probably make it. Less than an hour is too tight.

I was in the domestic terminal too even on a weekday morning it was pretty quiet.

If anything I think 2.5 hours is too much, I would aim for 1.5 hours. Most lounges are closed you will be bored with nothing to do.

Of course try and aim to fly to SDU instead of GIG if you can, save you some time there too. (assuming the schedules fit).

Don't go to CGH thats totally unnecessary, and a terrible idea. The uber could easily cost $50USD. There are tons of flights leaving every hour to either GIG or SDU.

There is no possible way on this earth with 2.5 hours you'd miss your domestic connection, its impossible. I'd say with 1.5 hours is ~90% chance you'd make it too.

For such a short cheap flight it doesn't really matter though some Brazililans prefer GOL over the other big 2. LATAM typically has the oldest crappiest planes but the plane is in the air like 15 minutes. If you want extra space book 2 seat on GOL or Azul, or book LATAM "premium economy" fare that guarantees you empty middle seat.

PS. Although Azul is not formally in Star Alliance they are quasi-members sharing code-shares, lounges etc, especially with United, so there is a presence.

GRU -> SDU schedule (better this airport if time fits) some flights may not be running due to covid

GRU -> GIG schedule, some flights may not be running due to covid
Fantastic information, thank you very much
Was aware of the Azul partnership (and it looks like I might be able to add Azul flights to my existing United ticket between $0 and $5) but all of the Azul options I was finding included a connection while GOL and LATAM both have non-stops. The dates for my trip just moved by a little more than a week so I may have better (or worse) options now -- I'll look again.

The sad part is normally I'd love an extra flight/seeing a new airport but with COVID adding an unnecessary couple extra hours of flying in a foreign country "just because I can" seems inadvisable.

Originally Posted by anaggie
I do this every time I fly to Brazil and 2.5/3 hours is more than enough time to clear customs, walk to the domestic terminal, check bags if you have to, clear security and even grab some coffee before getting on the plane.
^ Great to have confirmation from someone who's actually done it, thanks for the feedback