FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paying for a Stay: Hilton Honors Points versus Money or Cash
Old Oct 4, 2004, 4:39 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Msnowdon
I am going to Hawaii for business so heading out early with the family. I will be staying at the HHV on Oahu, can get rooms for $190 a night, so $660 with taxes, or should I use the 120,000 points?

Michael
It totally depends on your other potential near-term uses for HH points and your pattern of earning/redeeming points in general. If you have an upcoming trip to Europe (see others' posts about Rome, Scandia, etc.) then you can get a bigger bang for your buck. You may not choose to value a bed in Rome at 300+ euros, but in any case you'd realistically value it high enough to make that redemption very worthwhile.

But if you have no international vacation plans, a half-cent a point at the HHV might not be a bad redemption. I did a 6-night ALON there for 100k when I could've otherwise gotten a resort-quality room in the Waikiki area for about $100/nt. Roughly 7/10ths of a cent per point for a pretty nice property...I thought it was worth it.