FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Appropriate passenger Covid-19 precautions for transatlantic flight?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:46 pm
chipmaster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by whereiswaldo
"The other thing I did was poll our greater travel group of physicians. The respondents were 4 with 7 board certifications, (and if you count me, 5 with 10 certifications). and all included infectious disease training, They were the ones who have flown domestically before today. I include their recommendations since they have all flown domestically and not contracted COVID19. One is a Chair of a large Department at a Major Medical School, and one is the immediate past CMO of arguably the largest physician group in the nation, running southern California.
  1. OR level mask in and around airport (this would include masks with loops over the ears)
  2. N95 in airplane
  3. First class (if possible) for guarantee 2 seating and last on and first off
  4. Hand washing
  5. I think eye protection with goggles (can look fashionable) as opposed to a face mask (recent data show some aerosolization, hence the goggles in a closed space)
  6. Wipe down table. They provide wipes
  7. Don't touch anything even if you wiped it down
  8. Hand sanitizer every 10-15 minutes just in case you accidentally touched something
  9. No removing the mask so no eating or drinking on the plane
  10. Be extra careful not to touch your face
  11. Go to the bathroom before you get on"

The above constitutes really useful advice from Boerne. I am wondering how to apply this to a planned trip from San Francisco to Frankfurt in early December (for a key family event which is not negotiable). This would be a direct UA flight, in business class. N95 masks at the ready with plenty of spares. Goggles - not sure which kind yet but of course worn (wearing glasses anyway). Given 11+ hours air travel, no food is ok but no liquids or not going to the bathroom is not going to work. Wiping down and hand sanitizing - no problem. Sleep will be an issue, with the challenge to keep the mask secured (I'll practice). Upon arrival, I will take a mandatory PCR test at FRA. I then will need to take a train for 4.5 hours to arrive at my destination (planning on first class and reserving an extra seat next to me). Am I missing something? Personally - No infection so far, no elevated exposure factors, no elevated risk factors, and I have been rather careful.

I was hoping that a quality antigen quick test will be available for consumers to purchase by late November. This would allow me to test myself in the following days to catch any potential infect the PCR test would not catch. In Germany, no antigen test apparently can be bought by consumers at this time and turn around times are up to five days which makes this option less than useful. Any ideas what the state of antigen quick tests will be in about two months time?
Non-negotiable, everything is negotiable, you seemed most worried about others infecting you, perhaps a full PPE as listed below, LOL.

Perhaps you can take a different approach, get it-recovery and have immunity ;-)