FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How I would transform BA short-haul
View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:57 am
PGberkshire

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Yes, very bad in my opinion.

There are many people who will choose BA because of the brand and believe it’s better. Last year I was on a flight from AMS-LGW and I overheard someone say that they were happy to pay a bit more for BA over easyJet because it’s more reliable and better. Whether that’s true or not is another question, but many people do perceive BA as better than LCCs. The Vueling brand is not known here in the UK and people would easily pick Easyjet over them.

What’s more, BA can have very large CE cabins on these SH LGW routes. If these routes are taken over by Vueling, where would this premium traffic go?

For now BA have enough room to get all these LGW routes into LHR, but by 2024 airports should be full again. Then they’ll need to operate these lower margin holiday routes from another airport.
Well if we are daydreaming, then why not this?

Fold Vueling into OW

Vueling from LGW/MAN for LCC SH

BA from LHR with SH and LH - To justify the difference, SH will be more premium. So limited drinks service in Economy, with Snacks. Full Drinks service with good catering up front, and to really push to boat out new CE seats - perhaps WTP style.

A321NEO with full density out of MAN/LGW and a better more premium focused density out of LHR

So if you live in the South. you have a choice - low cost out of LGW. Lots of routes, earns TP (small amount), lounge access (more Aspire style than Club)
if you want premium or convenience / connections then LHR with better leg room, on board services and a much improved CE for those who want to spend the £, or are connecting to LHR for J or F.

If you live in the north, same. either direct with Veuling, or via LHR for BA.

If you want to go one step further - fold Aer Lingus into Veuling (and OW) and have it as its low cost Atlantic operation - (think a321 LR ) - LGW/MAN/BCN/DUBetc can be a feeder hub into Aer Lingus (who want to do more from UK/EMEA).

Id therefore have 3 divisions of IAG - BA, Veuling, Iberia.

Last edited by PGberkshire; Oct 12, 2020 at 10:10 am