FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX meal logic on long haul flights
View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:41 am
VE105

CX meal logic on long haul flights

Hi everyone, by "logic" I mean how CX decide what type of meals to be served (breakfast/brunch/dinner/supper) on a long haul flight. Is it based on time of the origin or time of the destination?

For the 1st meal seems it's based on time of the origin (midnight flights-supper, late-afternoon/evening flights-dinner, late morning to early afternoon departures-lunch).
For the 2nd meal I can't quite comprehend its logic. For Europe flights departing from Hong Kong which arrive at Europe in the morning, breakfast is served, so it seems that the 2nd meal is served based on time of destination. But for some flights arriving Hong Kong in the evening (such as CX885, arriving HKG at 18:55, *10 of following thread: flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/2002064-cx-j-menus-2020-a.html), breakfast is served as the 2nd meal.

Additionally, I recently read 2 flight reports on CX825 (approx. YYZ1415 – 1855+1HKG). The first one, in which the writer travelled in June 2018, lunch and dinner were served.
(travelupdate.com/cathay-pacific-business-class-777-300er-toronto-hong-kong/)
However, on the Jan 2020 flight, lunch and breakfast were served instead. (travelupdate.com/review-cathay-pacific-business-class-a350-1000-toronto-to-hong-kong/)

So is it because after they introduced new catering for J class in 2018, CX just don't wanna serve us 2 full meals in one single flight, thus you would always get one breakfast or brunch regardless of your departure and arrival time? I hope I'm mistaken but it does seem quite cheap for CX to think this way...