FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA Celebrity Sightings and Related - 2000-2012
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:21 am
chicaloca453

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nanook
I know that specially designated service dogs can go in the cabin and don't have to be caged. A woman at my local dog park said I should go to an office nearby who does such things and have my dog certified as a service dog. But my German Shepherd is just too friendly and frisky to be in the cabin...she's sweet but would be a nuisance. I assume even service dogs don't fly for free, so perhaps they have to have a purchased seat.

Actually, I believe service animals do fly for free, as they are necessary to accommodate the blind passengers. You can't say that you charge someone extra for being blind and needing a guide dog. That's descrimination.

I had never thought about allergies on the plane before, but I cam imagine how awful it would be to have severe allergies and be on a full flight next to a dog. I believe I'd demand to be re-routed in that case (although I'm not allergic to pets so that wouldn't be a problem for me).

I remember reading an article about Clay Aiken, who was runner-up on American Idol in Season 2. The article says he always buys a first class seat for his dog when he travels. It's a smaller dog, but still. When I read the thread title, I was wondering if some celebrity had pulled a Clay and bought a ticket for his dog.

I guess dogs have to get back and forth to the movie set too, but I'd hate to be on a transcon with one. I'm not opposed to animals, but I don't want to be cooped up with one for 5 hours either.