FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Pre-flight COVID Testing for SFO-Hawai'i (and other destinations)
Old Oct 9, 2020, 7:52 pm
Weatherboy

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomad420
Although I suspect the I know the answer on this. What about the so called "back door" onto the Big Island? Such as SFO-HNL, then take inter island into KOA at a "later time". I assume they are locking up all inter island travel with quarantine restrictions as strange as it seems. It wouldn't make sense to allow that, hence the need for a state wide plan. As many have stated let's see what happens after the first couple of weeks.
Early on before the interisland quarantine and the need for completed forms on interisland flights, people could simply lie and board a connecting flight without any process to show where they were coming from. So someone could walk up to an interisland flight even if they were technically still under quarantine, fly to another island, and have no one on that island checking whether or not they should be on quarantine. But with the interisland travel quarantine and no sign of it lifting anytime soon, this isn't possible.

If someone is planning to fly to Hawaii anytime soon on United, they should make sure it's on a single ticket and ideally, you're flying to the island you plan to park on for a bit. When you pop up with another airline ticket and an out-of-state license for a connecting flight purchased separately from your mainland flight, you run the risk of getting yourself into all sorts of problems.