FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion of Chase RR Visa 40K-75K sigunup points offers -- NO REFERRALS!
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:53 am
toomanybooks
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by climbingbear
I am looking to try and get a companion pass for 2021 and need points earned through the credit card signup bonus to accomplish it. There are some timing issues for me and I want to check that I have the timing right. The FAQ has some details but I wanted to check to make sure.

I have a property tax bill due Dec 10, 2020. I will need that spend to meet the sign up bonus. If I understand the FAQ (and posts by others), for the companion pass, Southwest goes by when Chase credits the points to your Southwest account. So, if I have a statement end date say Dec 6, 2020 and pay my tax will on Dec 8, 2020, then the points will be in my account in Jan 2021 statement (closing on Jan 6, 2021). Is that correct?
Assuming everything goes to plan, this will work as you want.

On occasion there are screwups/exceptions. Normally they occur only in the very first few months of card ownership.

More insidious are fraudulent purchases (points hit immediately and not reversible) and erroneous double-swipes by a vendor, even if refunded. In these cases, the points hit and you may get the CP early.

It seemed to be worse some years back.

If you’d like to learn more, there are hundreds of posts about this going back years. You can search them out.