FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sudden reduction of points, also known as "account regularization"
Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:49 am
Accor Member

Programs: Use to be Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Welcome to FT!
Accor won’t reach out to you, but you are of course free to contact them and enquire. If by regularisation you mean resetting your account after one year of inactivity, that’s fairly normal, and I don’t think they will reverse that.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Your last earning activity is in March 2019, right ? But Covid did not appear before end 2019 in China, end Q1-2020 in rest of the world, so if you are a frequent Accor stayer, why don’t you have a single stay in 9 months before Covid hit ?
You have no risk contacting Accor hoping for a gesture from them, but I am not sure you have strong case.
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
There was a whole year between March 2019 and March 2020 when Covid was not really a thing and there were no travel bans whatsoever for most of that time during which you could have booked an Accor hotel and kept your points account active. What we have here is a failure on your part to fully understand the expiration rules of the programme with the result that you allowed your points to lapse. You might not like it, but it is not “unfair”.
No. You failed to keep your account active in the year before Covid, so you fall foul of the standard programme rules on points expiry. Sad but true.
If you have any kind of Elite status in IHG their points don’t expire, otherwise it’s after 12 months of inactivity if you’re a bog-standard member.
I don’t think Accor will do anything to recompense you for the lost points as you failed t keep your account active before it became impossible to do so. Moral of this story - book an Ibis once a year if you want to keep your Accor points alive.
Originally Posted by jackr27
The advice from @testman is excellent and it's definitely the route I'd go down, and would be the best way to resolve this. Accor customer service is not good, so considering the amount of points you lost, I'd book a 2 night stay somewhere convenient and then get back the points that way.
Originally Posted by hotel_user
Wow - thats a lot of points to lose.
Not sure if you need to pay with money for the offer to work, but it is likely to be the best and easiest way to recover the points. Personally I would pay a non refundable rate on my card, having registered and taken a screen shot of my successful registration.
@hotel_user - I use to give away to friends and family members points but for a while, you have to do it personally

anyway, thanks everyone for the words of support and instructions...we are all different and unique individuals, some are pessimist, some optimist.

I belong to second. I believe in people, I believe in justice.

There is a law, there are rules and there is WE.

We CAN do small things to influence other people lives and I certainly believe that I do not have to call someone half-way across the world and explain that I had a hard times, that COVID19 ruined my way of life to the crumbles and trouble started indeed earlier.

But I kept going...it will get better soon or a later...

Actually I am responsible for the fact that points were taken, I did not read e-mails sent from Accor twice (1,5 and 3 months before) simply because mailboxes are stuffed with similar messages that I don,t even read by subject.
I could have taken steps but I didn,t because I didn,t see it.
I made mistake, we all make mistakes.

This is the point of view and reason why I think it is "unfair". We live in world of human, not rules and papers and there is ALWAYS someone that can make an exception based on something that doesn,t have to be a rule but simply good understanding and expression of mutual understanding.

Fortunately, I received e-mail and ALL my points are back.

ACCOR made an exception by making another Account Regularization and took effort to retain loyal customer.
  • Account Regularization :

10/06/2020

+135657
  • Account Regularization :

03/29/2020