FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A few home truths about Qantas
View Single Post
Old Oct 3, 2004, 5:07 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by DCF
Qantas is well aware that no other airline offers full service in Australia since Ansett was driven out of business, and I know that I won't get any more with Virgin Blue.
Oh, not that complaint again. Driven out by whom? Could it possibly have had something to do with your favoured Air NZ management milking AN for all they had?

Now, lets see, which NZ domestic airlines offer business class serivce with full meals?
Originally Posted by DCF
But my family and I spend most of our travel money on longhaul Business Class flights for work and for pleasure. Qantas has probably succeeded only in ensuring that that business remains with Air New Zealand.

Mind you, I was obviously crazy to consider moving to Qantas. Why would I want a sloping Qantas skybed when I could have a horizontal Virgin Upper Class suite on NZ from next year?
Now there is some good news. More J skybed availability for those who appreciate the difference .

Originally Posted by DCF
And thanks for the advice about Qantas not being silly enough to allow passengers with children too young to walk to have their strollers delivered to the aircraft. That's just great when the airline uses terminals without moving walkways.
At what point did you notify Qantas that you wanted special assistance upon arrival at the destination airport? In my experience, QF has been very willing to offer special assistance to parents travelling with infants. In fact, I booked a N class Red e-Deal for Mrs NM and the imminent Mini NM#4 to travel BNE-PER next month. When I call QF to request a bassinet seat position for them, I was asked if she would require any special assistance at the PER arrival. That was for a special Red e-Deal fare for a non-status (zero points balance, zero lifetime SC) QF FF member. It just needs to be added to the PNR with enough notice for them to ensure the staff are aware of the need and able to plan for it. Planning is what it is all about.
Originally Posted by DCF
(Incidentally, I had a similar problem 2 years ago on Qantas putting a newborn baby in an IATA-approved safety capsule / carseat which is designed for use on aircraft. "Oh no", they said, "you can't. Hold him in your arms." I pointed out that the seat had IATA-approved stamped all over it and had been used by me on Air New Zealand and United around the world and was designed to be the safest means of carrying a baby on a plane. "No, it's policy for safety reasons ". What will these fools think of next? Ban seatbelts for safety reasons.)
Again, how much notice was given. I made extensive enquiries about this very issue and there are several things that must happen prior to using on board:
  • Must provide 24 hours notice for pre-approval by QF Engineering and seat allocation (only the last rows of sections have the restraint anchor points)
  • Only available on 747 and 767-338/767-238 aircraft in economy and business class cabins
  • Must meet AS/NZS1754 standards
If you don't notify them at least 24 hours before the flight, then they won't permit the use of the child restraint. Obviously you have to pay the standard child fare for a separate seat as well, not just the 10% infant fare.