FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt 4Q Mattress Run DO?
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:28 pm
writerguyfl

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Sorry but this sounds like fraud to me and reason to be permanently banned from WOH. Basically you want people to pretend they are you so you can collect nights (and monetarily valuable perks to be used later) at low cost without actually staying at the hotel. Count me out.

BTW: I know you'll rationalize your behavior, but to others reading this: lying to get something of monetary value from a person or organization that would not ordinarily provide you with such value had you not lied is textbook fraud. What OP is proposing is to purposefully deceive the hotel - which is lying about staying there. Oh yes, fraud is illegal.

This thread should be closed.
I'm usually quick to point out fraud when someone suggests a scheme. I'm certain many people consider me to be a hotel apologist.

What the OP is proposing in this thread isn't fraud.

Since the people involved would actually show up at the hotel to check-in, there's no deception. Departing early without checking out and having a "friend" use the room in some manner isn't fraud unless the hotel in question has strict requirements that say only registered guests are allowed to be in rooms. That sort of scenario wouldn't be in place in a typical US hotel.

That said, I think MSPeconomist's comment regarding trusting a stranger to take care of my hotel room is worth highlighting. To me, it's too much risk.