FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:30 pm
YYCCL3

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Does anyone have recent experience entering Canada from the US as a business visitor post-COVID? My company is slowly resuming business travel and it would be beneficial for me to make a visit to our Canadian locations at some point soon. My work in Canada would consist of audits and operational observations that can't be done remotely - our Canadian offices have laid off most of their staff with only a skeleton crew remaining (essentially our Canadian CEO + a handful of other essential employees). The bulk of their normal work that can be done remotely is now done by myself and my team here in the US.

If I were to attempt a business trip to Canada while the border is still closed to non-essential travel, and have a letter from our Canadian CEO authorizing my travel, would CBSA consider my visit "essential" and thus exempt from entry or quarantine restrictions? I'm thinking the answer is probably "no" but just wanted to see if anyone else here has made a similar attempt. The guidance on the Canadian government web site is vague as to what constitutes "essential" business travel. I am a US citizen with no status in Canada, just a NEXUS card and frequent cross-border trips pre-COVID.
See if your work falls under one of the possible essential work categories here: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/n...sf-sfe-en.aspx

If it does, next, as LondonElite mentioned, have the Canadian arm of the company produce a letter indicating such. The answer is not 100% no. But be prepared to have them say no. Also, depending on what province you are entering the local health ministry may have additional documentation requirements to approve exemption from quarantine if you are permitted to enter Canada.

Given that there was an error in judgement recently that made it into the news regarding US citizens being allowed in without quarantine to perform what ended up being deemed non-essential work, I'm sure these type of requests are already being scrutinized more closely.