FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:53 pm
storewanderer

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by sullim4
I agree with you - I wish retailers would dump the MX915s. There are a few chains that like the larger screens and use it for marketing but it is otherwise a beast that provides little benefit over simpler readers. My favorite reader (it feels kind of odd to have a 'favorite' reader, but whatever) is the Square chip/contactless reader. It just works, every single time, without any finnicky behavior. The vx8XX series is also good - again, these tend to be hooked up to simple POS systems that just work.

The 915s are almost always heavily customized and are often a crapshoot as to whether they work with contactless.
MX915 is a rather useless machine but it seems to be increasing in popularity. American Retailers, especially the fast food ones like McDonalds, got severely oversold on those MX915s. What is weird is how McDonalds has the smaller readers in every other country but then in the US went with the clunky MX915s for some reason. We did get a few like Starbucks, Burger King, Subway, etc. who got it right and went with the smaller readers. I look forward to these MX915s disappearing as time goes on, but am not sure they will disappear.

The moment signature got eliminated, was the moment the MX915 became too much of a machine. In machine replacements, many retailers should move to a smaller pinpad.