FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:37 pm
sullim4

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
Really, the best long-term solution would be to go away from terminals like the MX915 for the drive-thru in order to make it harder to justify not handing them out the window for non-mobile wallet users. While they were probably a good idea when signature was still required, there's not really much of a need for large form factor terminals if that's the only reason why a restaurant is considering them.
I agree with you - I wish retailers would dump the MX915s. There are a few chains that like the larger screens and use it for marketing but it is otherwise a beast that provides little benefit over simpler readers. My favorite reader (it feels kind of odd to have a 'favorite' reader, but whatever) is the Square chip/contactless reader. It just works, every single time, without any finnicky behavior. The vx8XX series is also good - again, these tend to be hooked up to simple POS systems that just work.

The 915s are almost always heavily customized and are often a crapshoot as to whether they work with contactless.