FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Surgical mask only and not cloth mask?
View Single Post
Old Sep 17, 2020, 9:20 am
downinit

I wear cloth masks all day, every day, at work and while out and about. They are perfectly fine for those instances because my exposure risk is pretty low in those scenarios. Given the obscene amount of litter created by disposable masks, I think cloth masks should be the standard everywhere. However, if you are going to be in a confined space for several hours with questionable airflow, perhaps a few feet away from a sick person, I would advise the best mask you can obtain. I used N95 masks on my longer flights, and I doubled up on surgical masks for shorter flights, buses, and ferries. N95 masks are a bit scarce, but the KN95 masks seems to be readily available everywhere. They are not as effective as a true N95, but more comfortable and surely better than cloth or surgical masks. There are also big quality control issues for all surgical and KN95 masks right now, as the market is being flooded with masks manufactured as quickly and cheaply as possible. Definitely carry plenty of spare surgical masks, because those straps will break, often on a brand new mask.