FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ? on cancelled flight and refund
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:27 pm
monkeymommy

Originally Posted by Often1
Unfortunately, you are stuck with the consequences of having cancelled your reservations -- but, not tickets -- before VS cancelled its flight (if it did). If you provide your flight number on 7/14, there are people who can look it up for you and let you know whether it did operate. But, to be frank, that won't make any real difference.

The bottom line is that if the carrier, VS in this case, cancels your flight, you are entitled to a full refund of the ticket to your original form of payment. But, once you cancel your reservation, what VS does after the fact does not help you.

Thus, the best advice is to wait until either the flight is cancelled or it is just about flight time (remember flights are cancelled or substantially delayed for reasons other than Covid). If by a few hours prior to flight time on 7/14, your flight was not cancelled, I would then have taken the "open ticket" option.

Now that you have what amounts to a credit against future use. The time to ask for an extension is when it is closer to the current expiration date. Nobody knows whether quarantine will be required or perhaps whether there will be an effective treatment or vaccine or some combination. At that point, a competent physician can write a letter for you which you might use with VS to obtain an extension . But, no matter how good a physician, nobody can predict the future, so best wait until close to expiation. When is that?
Thank you for your response. At this point I pretty much expect that we are stuck with the credit. I just hope that they will be flexible in terms of when we could possible rebook. Looking at VA's site, it says after 12/1/2020, they will make you pay the fare difference even though there is no change fee and they are letting people rebook til 9/2022. I really hope we will be able to travel before then. The vaccine situation does not look exactly very promising and we don't think there will be one that is effective and safe for a while. Hopefully they will still extend the rebooking period if we cannot travel by 9/2022.