FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qualia vs. Hayman (Barrier reef area, Australia)
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:29 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I investigated this before my GBR trip, I decided that Hayman is too big and too much of an ugly modern building. I was also trying to avoid any resort that was likely to be overrun by kids.

My short list was Bedara (adults only very small luxury all inclusive, over a thousand USD per person per night, including French champagne 24/7) and Green Island (also small, on its own island but does get some dive boats that stop on day trips--between about 10 and 4, located about an hour by hydrofoil from Cairns with the resort hotel's own private check in lounge at the pier). I decided on Green Island because of the easy access, reputation for good food (I was very happy with the meals I had, including the possibility of discussing special fish orders for the day's dinner with the chef at breakfast), and easy activities (small underwater glass aquarium to see fish in the wild, free daily glass bottom boat tours, free snorkeling equipment, etc. with scuba lessons in one of the swimming pools in the mornings, small zoo on the island, boardwalk nature path on the island with is about two miles in diameter). It's a coral island (unlike most) so you don't need to go far to see the coral and in fact, it's a provincial/national park, with free nature lectures by park rangers. My junior suite (IIRC their most common room category) had a luxurious bathroom and lots of dark wood, Queensland tropical style. The hotel buildings were designed to blend into the dunes. I was very pleased with the choice and I thought it was fairly priced, although I don't remember what I paid.